Blahs and blogs

on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I haven't been blogging for very long, and I definitely have never kept up with a blog outside of class. I am pretty picky when it comes to following a blog. I don't like blogs that are extremely opinionated and lack good information.  I like for a blog to have a specific focus instead of revealing that the author has a bad case of ADD. Occasionally, I will come across a blog when I am looking for research papers, but I have never really found one blog that I would like to read daily.  While searching for blogs for this assignment, I came across this one: the artful amoeba. I immediately liked it for its simple, yet creative design. It wasn't super overwhelming with bright colors, links everywhere and more pictures than words.  The posts are written on fascinating topics with enough movies, pictures and diagrams to compliment the post.  Some of the posts seem opinionated, but not in a bad way. In fact, the latest post is about Oprah Winfrey narrating the Life Series instead of David Attenborough. This stuck out to me because I also noticed that the Life series seems more interesting when David Attenborough narrates it.  In her post, the author provides videos from the series by each narrator to back up her thoughts and allow the reader to make a decision for themselves.   
The second blog I liked was Beyond the Human Eye.  This blog belongs to Botanist Phil Gates.  It is also not too overwhelming, easily navigated, and incredibly fascinating. The posts include beautiful pictures with a wealth of information, all about the smaller aspects of Botany and Biology. The pictures in his posts are absolutely incredible. If you are just scanning the page, it automatically draws you in and you begin reading just to find out about the pictures. I found many blogs that I liked, but these two really drew me in, and that's what's important in a blog. I don't want to feel like I am reading someones jumbled thoughts or their school assignments.
Note: Image from http://www.blogperfume.com/top-25-funniest-comic-strips-about-blogging/

0 comments:

Post a Comment